Let’s talk books, reading, and writing! I would love to visit your school, library, bookstore, or festival, either in person or virtually. I live in St. Louis but am open to traveling. Your Life Has Been Delayed and My Second Impression of You are targeted at young adult audiences, ages 12 and up, so they’re a great fit for middle and high school readers. Potential topics include:
- My journey to publication (including my path to young adult, 500+ rejections & the importance of perseverance)
- My debut book along with the inspiration behind it, how I researched a book set in the present that includes a historical worldview, and other behind the scenes fun
- Drafting, revising & polishing a book (including how revision is where the magic happens!)
- Writing process and how it’s different for every writer
- What it’s like working with other writers, an agent, and an editor to turn a draft into a published book
- The story of a book (take students through the path of a single book from idea to drafting, sending to other writers for critique, revising with an agent then editor, cover design, copy editing, and more)
- What makes a story (plot, character, conflict, etc.)
I love talking to other writers and have presented to multiple groups about my road to traditional publication (10 years in the making!). I queried for seven years and can give tips on querying agents, participating in contests, and fielding multiple offers from agents.
If you are interested in arranging an in-person or virtual author visit, please use my contact page to check my availability, rates, and more specific topic options.
Is your book club reading Your Life Has Been Delayed? I’ve created a Book Club Kit that includes the following resources:
- What’s inside the book graphic
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Snack & drink suggestions
- A playlist
- Discussion questions (not spoiler-free so fair warning!)
- A quiz on what was around when Jenny left in 1995
- What to read next after YLHBD
- What to watch after reading YLHBD
- About the author (me)
If you decide to hold a book club using the kit, please let me know! I’d love to send you bookmarks and/or signed bookmarks. And depending on when you’re meeting, perhaps we can arrange a video chat. Thanks so much for reading!