Let’s talk books, reading, and writing! I love meeting readers and would be thrilled to visit your school, library, bookstore, or festival, either in person or virtually. I live in St. Louis but am open to traveling. Your Life Has Been Delayed and My Second Impression of You are targeted at young adult audiences, ages 12 and up, so they’re a great fit for middle and high school readers. Potential topics include:
- My journey to publication (including 500+ rejections & the importance of perseverance) + an interactive activity creating a story together
- My debut book along with the inspiration behind it, how I researched a book set in the present that includes a historical worldview, and other behind the scenes fun
- Drafting, revising & polishing a book (including how revision is where the magic happens!)
- Writing process and how it’s different for every writer
- What it’s like working with other writers, an agent, and an editor to turn a draft into a published book
- The story of a book (take students through the path of a single book from idea to drafting, sending to other writers for critique, revising with an agent then editor, cover design, copy editing, and more)
- What makes a story (plot, character, conflict, etc.)
I love talking to other writers and have presented to multiple groups about my road to traditional publication (10 years in the making!). I queried for seven years and can give tips on querying agents, participating in contests, and fielding multiple offers from agents.
Is your book club reading Your Life Has Been Delayed or My Second Impression of You? I’ve created Book Club Kits that include the following resources:
- What’s inside the book graphic
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Snack & drink suggestions
- A playlist
- Discussion questions (not spoiler-free so fair warning!)
- What to read next
- What to watch after reading
- And more!
If you decide to hold a book club using either kit, please let me know! I’d love to send you bookmarks and/or signed bookmarks. If you order a set of books, I’d be happy to send signed bookplates. Depending on when you’re meeting, perhaps we can arrange a video chat. Thanks so much for reading!